Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Beginning....

I am just going to start with a huge WOW....

It not what I imagined but it is soooooo much better! For those of you that do not know, I am working with the wedding planner, Southern Protocol, in Charleston, SC. I moved down to Charleston on Thursday and started the summer with a smashing 3 wedding weekend. Friday was at the William Aiken House on King St, Saturday was at the Old Exchange Building off E Bay St, and Sunday was at the Legare Waring House in Charles Towne Landing.

I'm not sure exactly where to start, so this post might be a stream of consciousness honestly, so here it goes!

I am living with my mom's cousin's family on the Isle of Palms. I'm living in a dorm-like room in their basement, which is perfect and it has just the space I need. The best part about the living situation is the family I am living with. There are five small children in the house, and yes it is chaotic at times, but it is great to be with a family. Also, another plus, the beach is less than 5 minutes away, and there is a beautiful backyard with a pool! Could not be any better. I have loved being able to spend time and talk with Dena and Brian (the parents of the 5 children); they have such good advice and are very easy to talk and spend time with. I have enjoyed some awesome organic meals since being down here; Dena and her family are a part of a co-op--shout out to Catherine Pate and Lauren Reed (check out Lauren's blog at laurenereed.wordpress.com/)!  Now friends that are my age...if you think that you are ready for children go live with a family of 5 and you will quickly change your mind; this is the best birth control known to man!!!

Ok onto Friday. I worked with Sara, one of the wedding planners from Southern Protocol, at the William Aiken House to set up a wedding that was black and pink themed. Now in Charleston, it is the location that makes a beautiful wedding, (along with the design of creative wedding planners :)) Friday was not really what I imagined and if I am going to be honest with you...it was a lot easier than I thought it would be! There is not as much intense labor as I had anticipated becuase our job on set up day is to make sure all the vendors arrive on time, make sure we follow the time line, and take care of the small decorative details, like hanging lanterns and drapes in the tent. The hard part to planning and executing a wedding is done before set-up day. Friday's wedding had the best cake of the weekend...a 4-tier cake, each decorated differently, and then each tier was 4 layers of white cake with lemon custard and blueberry sauce in between each layer. For a girl who loves chocolate is says a lot that this cake was to die for!

Now Saturday was not a hard day, and it was more enjoyable than Friday mainly because I knew more of what to expect. This wedding was down right gorgeous. The Old Exchange Building was a beautiful location, but what made this so great was the upstairs room was a deep turquiose color, and the accent color was salmon pink! There were two mantles in the room that were decorated with light pink and salmon pink flowers and mason jars with votive candles. I would have killed for my camera, becuase it was so stunning! The couple at the wedding were just so kind and grateful for all that Sara had done. And another plus I took home some awesome flowers from this wedding to adorn my lovely room!






Sunday. Legare- Waring. Also a favorite of the weekend that I will post pictures (finally some pics lol). This was also a special couple because the husband had been deployed to the middle east for some time. There were lots of very cute details in this extremely Southern styled wedding (ironic because the couple is from New York). The colors for the wedding were navy, ivory and olive green. My favorite part of this wedding was the lighting, given off by the chandeliers and all the pretty lanterns hanging. But by far the cutest detail was the husband's idea to have a cookie bar! The lady from Wildflour that made the cake baked four kinds of cookies that were served with milk! Instead of a guest book, the bride and groom requested that attendees sign post cards with advice for the couple. For favors, they had a specific wine made and bottled especially to honor their wedding day. As you can see in these pics, it was a stunning affair!
















Sunday was also a fun day becuase Sara, Taylor and I got so many yummy treats between the reception food, wedding cake and cookies, and a few other things, but best of all we enjoyed the STICKY BUN from Sticky Bun Sundays at Wildflour. Any time you are in Charleston on a Sunday, this is a must!!! This sticky bun is by far one of the best things you will ever taste! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!

Tuesday was my first day in the office, and it was confirmed yet again that this is what I need to do! Lizz, the owner of the company, taught me so much in the 4 short hours I was there. She has been great to let me ask any questions, and she answers them so thoroughly! The best part of the office hours is just sitting and talking with her about all things--weddings, life, skirts, food, blogging...you name it! I know that there is a future for me within this industry, and it has meant a lot to know that my boss, my family, and my friends think that I can do it! Before I left I stuffed and mailed these gorgeous, engraved Save the Dates for a wedding in october. Check out the personalized postage stamps!





Lastly before I leave today, I am looking forward to my BagelNation date in the morning with my new friend and coworker Taylor, whom I already love so dearly! We have client and vendor meetings after that so I will post about how those go tomorrow!

Love to you all and thanks for your support!

3 comments: